Thursday, February 01, 2007

Questions for the Nut

In attempt to try and answer some of your (anticipated) questions, I sat down and interviewed myself. It was a rather interesting meeting, not unlike, say a 60 Minutes interview, only a lot less combative and not as well watched.

Question: Madman, how long do you expect this insane event to take you?
Madman: Well, I ran the Ohlone Trail last year going the opposite way which is a longer uphill climb and it took just under 6 hours to complete the 50K/32miles. This year, I'll be running down what was the long uphill portion and only 45K/28 miles, so I expect my running time to be around 5 hours. Then just because I slacked off and ran downhill, I'll then get on my bike and ride 50Km/30 mile for a total of 95km. The biking portion will probably take around 2 hours.

Question: Wait a minute, didn't you say it was a 40Km run and 50Km bike ride?
Madman: Yeah, I know. It was a marketing thing. I figured it was easier to use round numbers. In fact, I'll probably do an even 100km by adding on some more road bike miles.

Question: What's with the kilometer thing?
Madman: It just sounds cooler. And, of course futher. I think 1 kilometer equals 3.28 foot-pounds per square inch or something like that.

Question: You mean 62 miles.
Madman: Sure.

Question: 5 hours, huh. That's kind of slow isn't it. Those guys in Boston run 26.2 miles in less than 3 hours!
Madman: The Boston Marathon is a road race and except for one 280 foot hill, is rather flat. Trail running is all about hills, mud, uneven footing, rocks, hills, and a few more hills just for fun.

Question: Fun?
Madman: Oh yes! I love trail running. I call it fast hiking. I get to see places I'd never get to in a day hike, views that a road runner never sees, and near death encounters with killer rabbits, for example.

Question: So why the road bike portion.
Madman: While I love biking in general, unfortunately EPRD doesn't allow mountain bikes, my favorite ride, on the Ohlone. A road bike, in this case is a necessity. But the ride back Old Calavaras Road is a great and beautiful ride.

Question: Can I ask some more questions?
Madman: Sure next time. Of course, I'd be happy to take questions via the comments section too?

Today's training run was a 10 mile small hill route for 1:24 minutes.

No comments: