Monday, February 19, 2007

On Yardwork

Sunday finished off what was a light training week. I put in three runs and two bike rides for a total of 19 miles on feet and 25 miles on wheels.

Of course this was an apropose moment to cleanup the Madhouse. Spring was hitting Northern California with a nice warm tickle and so yard chores--communicating on a subetheral wave length directly and mysteriously to the opposite gender--suddenly arose as an opportunity for some "cross-training", as Mrs. Madman put it.

Funny thing about yard chores...apparently they use a different muscle group from running, biking, lifting, and pilates exercises. I know this for sure because Sunday morning when I started up the trail on the first half of my run, I identified some sore thigh, gluteous, and oblique muscles that didn't exist the previous (unchore-burdened) weekend. I forgot to log my Saturday workout in the yard but it amounted to about 6 hours of weeding, clipping, pulling, shovelling, spading, and loading and unloading 3 yards of debris from my truck.

I think I'll stick to ultramarathon training.

No comments: