Friday, February 02, 2007

More Nutty Questions

Today was a scheduled "medium intensity" plus bike ride day. But with Mrs. Madman and the littlest madman both sick and me now feeling run-down, today has been declared a rest day instead. With Sunday as my next big workout day, 2 days of rest ought to help, I hope.


Question: So what's this "medium intensity" thing and how do you train for a challenge like this?
Madman: I've been saved from myself by a trainer who put together a great plan. Dan Taylor (shout out, bro!) of Taylored Fitness (and a regular contibutor to the VMS Gala) keeps me from over-reaching in my training. If you're really interested, my Plan lays it all out. It's designed to keep me working on overall endurance strength and cardio intensity without wearing out all my joints.

Question: What do you eat?
Madman: At some point, just about anything. My body needs about 4,000-4,5000 calories at my workout level and about 80g of protein. Most competitive and endurance athletes eat about six meals a day consisting mainly of small portions and high levels of protein, complex carbohydrates, and mineral and vitamin rich vegetables. I don't use supplements but focus instead on fresh foods, fruits, nuts, and vegatables. Breakfast (5:30am) is my most important meal and I usually eat a cup of Fega yogurt (20g protein) with some granola (6 g of protein). Some days I'll have an omelet, instead. About an hour or two later, I'll have a slice of toast with peanutbutter and honey and some fruit; and another small late morning snack of fruit, nuts, or a small yogurt. Lunch is usually high protein sandwhich like turkey, chicken or tunafish. Sometimes it's last night's leftovers. I'll have a late afternoon snack of fruit, yogurt and nuts before dinner. Dinner is key for getting a well balanced meal consisting of chicken, pork or fish along with some carbs and vitamin/mineral rich veggies like spinach, broccolli, greens, or eggplant. Fortunately, Mrs. Madman is a great cook and dinners are delicious! Oh and I really love Turkey Jerky!

Question: Dude, what's with all the yogurt?
Madman: I just like the stuff; it's not some kind of Scarsdale-South Beach-Pleasanton diet thing.

Question: Do you eat dessert?
Madman: I'm not a big dessert guy, but the wine bottles tremble in fear when I walk by. That's my indulgence.

Question: Do you actually have a job?
Madman: You know my wife asks that a lot. So does my boss. But that question coming from me, is even tougher! Yeah, I have a great job. I'm really lucky. I work from home most days or have enough flexibility in my schedule to work in my training. And, of course, my family really supports me and does sacrifice some weekend time to my obsession.

Question: What's the toughest part of training?
Madman: Finding the time. Everything else I love.

Question: Where did this insanity begin and have you been treated yet?
Madman: I got into Adventure Racing about 4 years ago when I realized that at some point the only thing we middle age guys have over youth is endurance and maybe more money. The latter accounts for most of my gender's fascination with motor sports, horse racing or poker. Adventure Racing is a kick--it involves a lot of cool outdoor hobbies (read toys), lots of sweating, and very few young adults so we're guaranteed to not humiliate ourselves too much.

2 comments:

4theroad said...

I had a question about sugar and the effects on exercise. Mainly, how sugar effects your workout. I experience "the wall" sometimes when I don't have enough energy to push through a workout. I think this may have to do with having too much sugar before a workout and then having a "crash". Any thoughts on this subject?

Madman Running said...

4theroad: I avoid sugar because it tends to create big peaks and valleys in blood sugar levels. I can definitely feel a sugar crash on those occassions when I indulge. The experts recommend avoiding sugar before workouts for that very reason. That said, sugar during a long event isn't necessarily a bad thing. Last year I was popping M&M's on the last 4 miles of the run for that quick energy release. Best thing for you is to keep a steady supply of complex carbs coming during the day to keep your blood sugar constant. I also avoid food about 30-60 min before a workout since the blood I need is otherwise occuppied in processing that food instead!