Thursday, January 04, 2007

Speedy when wet

Northern California got a little rain today. By east coast standards, it would be called a drizzle, but here it was a "weak storm."

Symantics aside, it was a fun day for a wet run. The temp was a nice 54 degrees, the skies dark and filled with grey, wet-saoked clouds. Puddles were forming in every low spot and along street gutters, and trail drainages. With shorts, my favorite Hind running jacket (wind proof and water resistant only), and a pair of Salomon XA Pro GCR's I set off for a morning adventure. Today's goal was an 8-mile run on my usual short hill course.

Despite an up-the-rack workout yesterday, my legs felt fresh and my first mile was a quick 7:23; satisfying yet I knew that my pace would settle out slower to a more sustainable 8:00-8:20 mile per minute.

The wind was up and the clouds to the south were dark and ominous. I love running in these conditions. No one else is out. The sounds are muffled. The woods wear darker, greyer, and more somber tones. There is a very different mood when running in such conditions. It's almost as if you are an intruder in a nature's private, solitary moment.

Running in the rain adds a new dimension to the run. By mile 6, I was soaked to the bone; the water resistance of my jacket overcome by the sustained rain. My thighs and kneew glowed red as the heat boiled off my skin, my hands were warm and even dry despite the conditions. But, man it was a good run.

A quick note on the XCR's. I love Salomon shoes. I swear by the XA Pro line--comfortable for 20+ miles right out of the box. But the Comps and XCR's are good for about 5 miles before the start eating up your feet! Avoid them.

No comments: