Monday, January 22, 2007

A run, a ride, and a cat

Sunday was Big Hill + Bike day. Back to the Ridge for a 7 mile run up and back. There were a ton of hikers and bikers on the trail but my mind focused on a steady distance run pace. I was worried about the ankle, but on the climb up my ankle felt just fine. As I hit the top and moved into some roller coaster segments I started to feel some muscle burn in the left leg along the shin and down to the toe. I was tightening up, dagnabit! At mile 4 on the return loop, I did a quick stretch and worked the toe out slowly. A quarter mile later it let me go and the down hill run to the trailhead wasn't a problem. A vestige of the ankle tightness? Something brought on in the change of training routine? Who knows but at least I avoided hopping down the trail like a one legged post hole jumper.

Despite the muscle, it was a good day. The weather was fantastic. The wind was whipping up which kept temps from getting too cold overnight and gave us the added benefit of 120 mile views to the Sierras. The snow capped ridge line around Tahoe and Yosemite stood out. Let's hope we get many a winter view like that, but the signs aren't good.

Back at the trailhead, I readied for the bike portion of the route. Clipped in, I began the 2.1 mile climb back up to the top of the ridge. Some initial tightness from the run smoothed out and the climbs that day were right where I would hope--strong, fast and in the groove, baby! I had my ride Zen on that day and hit all the uphill technical and fast downhill turns tight and right on the line. On the back side I came across quite a sight. At the T where riders usually turn back on the loop return were dozens of the largest cat tracks I've seen yet. It was a good size mountain lion track with pads the size of my fist. The cat had been there recently. Bike tracks from previous rider (some whom I heard only minutes before) were overlayed by the mountain lion. I tracked it for about 50-60 yards down the fire road with prints going in two different directions. I should say I tracked it while riding a pace just short of peak exertion and lung explosion. I figured that predator was going to have to work for its supper.

I also made a note not to wear a wool vest and to lose the Eau de Mouton while running or riding.

Total training time: 2:15
Total run: 1:01
Run miles: 7.2 miles
Total bike: 1:14
Bike miles: 11.1 miles

No comments: