Monday, January 29, 2007

Here kitty, kitty

More signs of an active mountain lion in my training area.

On the first half of Sunday's workout, I found fresh mountain lion tracks on the descent into the Kilkare canyon. Since I appeared to be the first to that area (no other fresh tracks given last night's rain) and it just happened to be at my halfway point for the 8 mile run, it seemed like a good enough time to turn around.

I did spend a minute studying the tracks. The lion's paws are about the size of my fist. Not a small cat that one. I took some solace that despite a recent attack in northern California "You can expect on average to be killed by a car at the very minimum 320 times before you expect to be killed by a mountain lion. So you really shouldn't start worrying about a mountain lion killing you until at least 160 of your hiking companions have been killed by automobiles."

After the 8 mile run, Racer-X joined me for the mountain biking portion. We put in a nicely paced 11.2 mile loop covering some of the same area as my run averaging 9.3mph--not bad given the trail was pretty wet and the technical climbs were "traction challenged".

Total time 2:21
Total run: 8 miles for 1:09
Total bike: 11.2 miles for 1:12

No comments: