Thursday, March 23, 2006

Back on my feet

Today was my first run back after last Sunday's disaster. On Dan's suggestion, I took 3 solid days off of any activity. His admonishment was clear and accurate: "The flu is an unfortunate obstacle that you need to deal with responsibly - not plow through with steely determination." Steely, Dan? I found out it was pyrite-like. A fool's gold.

So, accordingly I took off on a 5 mile, moderately paced run. I also went down an old favorite trail and took along my geeky GPS module to find out exactly how far it really is down to the turn around point. The wife heaped on some extra admonishment when I doubled back into the house to grab it: "You have so much equipment now, you seem to always keeping coming back for something you forgot."

So off I went at a comfortable and moderate gate for 5 miles. Keep the heart rate in the green...no more than 151bpm, son. Oh yeah, I forgot, my favorite old trail was something like 6.1 miles or so and that's what I needed to check on....maybe I'll push a little further.

At the first mile, the GPS beeped and I checked the readout to see my pace. 7:30 mile. Not too bad for a "moderate pace." Maybe I'll just push it along at this rate for a while? Pyrite. PYRITE. P-Y-R-I-T-E! you moron. MODERATE PACE!! So I moderated back to about 7:45-8:00 and motored along my planned 5 mile route according to plan. Not a bad run...er.. for 6.255 miles exactly according to the GPS. Hope Dan's not reading this.

No comments: