Monday, March 13, 2006

20 mile climb

This isn't the Alps. Nor the Sierras. This is simply the coastal range that the I will climb and descend in my upcoming 50k run. It's not normally covered in snow. But, it was on Sunday when I had a scheduled 20 mile run.

The Bay area was under a week long assault of storms spinning out of the Gulf of Alaska, so there was plenty of cold air and moisture being dumped on California. The result was snow on the surrounding foothills, cold showers, and wet trails.

I loaded up my running bag with some extra weight: a waterproof top, heavy-layer windshirt, and enough food and water for a 4 hour run. The bag definitely felt heavier as I adjsted it at the trail head following a brief rain shower.

The run was spectacular but much tougher with the extra weight. I kept my heart rate within my target zone as much as possible. The sky was filled with heavy cumulus clouds and the ridget tops I was headed for, were cloaked in a layer of white snow. As I ascended up through the first mile, a lone coyote watched me pass--was that a look of sympathy or did he consider me just a poor menu item?

I hit the "gravity well"--the point where the trail turns down for a mile before climbing very steeply back up for another 2 miles--feeling strong, but the wind was growing colder and I slipped on a my wind vest to keep my core warm. About 1.5 hours after I started, I hit the snow line and my foot prints through the slush reflected my steady pace. At a junction in the trail, I came across two hikers--astonishingly dressed in cotton, with jeans soaked through up to their knees. We exhanged "how-do's" and recognition of our mutual turn-around points, just 3 miles ahead. As I took the last 2 miles up-hill, the snow deepened and I found myself "breaking trail" through 3-4 powdery inches of snow. Overhead, an East Bay Regional Parks helicopter buzzed the trail and circled over my turn around point at the ridge top camping spot. Trouble for campers or were they worried about 3 knuckleheads out on such a blustery day?

I began the trip back down feeling comfortable but certainly worn for the 2:15 of near constant climbing. The trip down was anti-climatic but clearly demonstrated how bruising this run will be. I was clearly tired and pushing myself as I finished up my 20 miles. Was it the extra weight? The fight against the elements that took extra energy? Or, as it later turned out, the early stages of the flu that hit me 2 days later passed to me by the kids? Don't know. But, next week's 22miler will tell me more.

No comments: