Monday, January 30, 2006

Lili Von Shtoop and Running

Madeline Khan, as Lili, does an off key parody of dance hall saloon divas, in the movie Blazing Saddles, singing:

"I'm tired, tired of playing the game. Ain't it a freakin' shame. I'm so...let's face it. Everything below the waist is ka-put."

And so it goes. Yesterday was a hard 11 miles on some steep trails up on the ridge. I was dragging early on in the steep ascent up the trail--a residual, I think, of running 2-10+ mile runs within 48 hours of each other. At least that's what I'm going with for this excuse.

On the up side, I was able to practice fueling while running and work on evening out my pace/workload between tough climbs and steep descents (one secret is not to fall). I find that 1.5 PowerGel's per hour washed down with water keeps my energy level just right on a short run. I try to constantly sip off the packet and coupling it with water keeps me hydrating at just the right frequency. As my runs get longer, I'm going to need to add more fuel and other non-carb focused sources of energy to sustain myself. Dan and I talked about avacadoes, PB and Honey sandwiches, and other things with fat, protein and carbs. Protein takes longer to digest but will be needed to keep my body from raiding the muscles, instead.

Today, my calves are pretty sore and my hips a little stiff. Not unusual after such a vertically challenging run, but this is a piece of cake compared to what I'll face on Ohlone. 'Course it doesn't help when my Type A runner personality kicks in at the site of someone ascending ahead of me.... blowing my even pace and spiking my exertion into the anarobic level. Overall, I averaged 10 min miles--given how steep some of this was, I feel pretty good about that--this is still faster than I expect my Ohlone run average to be. My last downhill section was slow, though (around 7:40), so I was obviously a little ragged out at the end.

On the other hand, regardless of how I feel I just had to work her line in along with this picture.

No comments: