Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Evolving motivation


At the end of last year's finale race at Tahoe Blue, Team Tenemos Frijoles had reason to be proud. We had evolved from rank-ass amateur status as a team of middle age "had beans" to a finishing on a tough race course just behind the pro-teams. We ended the racing season strong. With that accomplishment, I entered the post-season wanting a new goal for the Spring.

I've always loved the outdoor life or at least the allure and romance of it. As a youngster, my Dad often took me hiking the AT in northern GA or bird hunting in Sandersville on the property of my Grandad's cannery (now shuttered). Together, as adults--Dad in his 70's and still stronger than most at 50-- we paddled the Allagash Wilderness together.

Adventure Racing allowed me to combine a lot of these outdoor focused activities together along with a high test blend of sweat, competitiveness, and thrill seeking. But Trail running really connected me to the solitude and beauty of the outdoors.

Having done a few trail races as conditioning for adventure racing, I was interested in finding something local, fun, and tough. Dean Karnatzes and his "Ultramarathon Man" become another motivational book that lead me to finding something truely challanging. My search led me to this race from Mission Peak in Fremont, CA across the steep coastal mountains to Lake Del Valle outside Livermore, CA.

No comments: