Monday, April 16, 2007

The Challenge--the Run

Dawn was just arriving and the last stars winking out in the sky above Lake Del Valle as Racer X dropped me off at the trailhead. We were 15 minutes early, but Tri-Ty arrived just moments later. A quick check of gear and off we set at 0615 into the still dark woods crowding the trail.

The forecast called for a high of 65 and winds building to 10-30 by late afternoon. It was 47 degrees when we started out--warm enough to go with just a short-sleeve shirt--but the winds forecast suggested that the wind chill might be bitter up top. A guess that proved all too true.

Tri-Ty was going to join me for the first 20 miles. After 30 minutes on terribly steep climbs we both settled into our own comfortable rhythm, but it was nice to have his support and the knowledge that he'd be with me one-way or the other along our shared route.

After 1:25 I crested the first major climb portion and enjoyed the relatively flat section before Maggie's Rest. I hit the turn off for Maggie's at mile 10 right on target feeling fresh and confident in my pace. The wind was howling at the peak and the wind chill at 8:30 in the morning felt like the low 30's at times. The extra few ounces of wind jacket were definitely worth it! And the views of the bay--stunning. I had a view at one point that included Mount Diablo to the north, Tamalpais and the Golden Gate 45 miles to the nortwest, and Woodbridge and the coastal mountains framing the Monterey Bay to the south.

The next 10 miles were a long descent from 3800' to 320' and ones I knew were going to stress my quads and feet considerably. Unfortunately, this prediction too came to be acurate. By Backpacker's camp--filled with heavily loaded scouts mounting up for the hike back to Sunol--I could shed the jacket and stopped briefly to refill my 2l hydration pack. I had done a good job of fueling and hydrating along the way and continued to feel fresh and strong. My quads were showing some early signs of stress but not more than I was expecting.

I arrived in Sunol exactly 3:58 after starting out from Del Valle. The park was alive with day hikers who eyed me curiously as I ran through towards the last 8 mile section to Mission Peak Regional Park. This last 8 miles is an upside-down V that goes from 320 to just shy of 2500 feet. The descent is all of 2 miles. A steep descent on fresh legs--excruciating on tired ones. On the ascent at mile 22 I could the physical attack was joined in battle by the mental. I began to think about the riding segment. My feet muscles ached. My quads were tight. My knees were barking. I began to entertain thoughts of getting a ride to the top of Calavaras instead of riding it. Maybe I should just end at the trail head instead. Man this is tough. Why punish myself any more? What if I just took a nap?

This east-west on the Ohlone was far tougher than last year's west -east run. Clearly, the downhill had wrecked some havoc.

I pushed on. I had people waiting for me to ride with them. One step at a time. My pace had slowed. My ability to climb for extended runs had diminished. I settled into runs where I could and walks as I encroached on my anaroebic level. The rest-walk, run ratio began to climb. I reached the peak after 4.84 miles, the next mile rather flat, and then below me lay the steep descent to the parking lot where Mrs. Madman, all the Mad children, and my ride team awaited. The descent sucked. It hurt. But every step brought me closer to the end of that stage.

And hearing the cheers as I turned the corner made a huge impact. It felt great. Nothing sucked any longer. The last 28 miles were worth it as I punched the clock at 5:30--exactly-- into the awaiting arms of the Mad family.

No comments: