Thursday, April 12, 2007

Angst in the Tank

I made a huge mistake in picking up a Triathlete mag yesterday. In it was an article discussing tapering techniques to "ensure your body gets adequate time to rest and recover from training" before the next race.

So far I agree...

Then they go on to describe their taper strategy. It turns out taper means cut your training in half and take 2 days off in the week prior to your race.

Holy Crap! that's tapering?

In contrast, my taper began two weeks ago. Three weeks ago, I spent 9:28 minutes training during my longest and toughest week of the 4 month training program. This included a 4 hour run and 2 hour bike ride on one day alone. The next week, my training routine went to 2:57 and this week it's 1:15 with 3 rest days prior to the run/ride. Same routine as last year when I ran the Ohlone trail only.

So should I throw in another run? Did I under train? Or are triathletes conditioning to a different drummer? Or did I just find articles for type A overtrainers?

Active rest really works for me. I'd like to say I employ it effectively even at work, but in the event my manager happens to show up here, I must say that just isnt' the case, sir...

No comments: