Sunday, May 09, 2010

Little Bear



Today I saw my first black bear on a bike. Well, to be clear, I was the one riding. He was halfway across the road (insert chicken joke) and paused to watch me, a strange lycra clad animal that stank like a skunk, sucked air like a cow, and sweated like a pig.

My first full road ride and I went south of Knoxville to ride in the Great Smokies on a stretch of closed road called the Foothill Parkway. While not ideal for road riding, I had the place to myself except for said bear and later a "b'rer fox". My route took me up a 9 mile segment of rough road and a long set of climbs. The views were stunning vistas of lush green forested hills--that is when I had big vistas that could be seen through this lush forest. Lots of climbing. Perhaps my 12/25 rear cog is not enough, or perhaps my legs could use some conditioning. I found myself bottomed out for miles during the climbs but, in defense, the grades could be steep.

By mile 14, I had doubled back to a trail that took me off the closed parkway and on to a small country road. Smooth, fast, and largely unused. Good thing it was fast as I experienced the other Tennessee wildlife: the bike chasing dog. I had read of such a problem and I got to experience it first hand. Fortunately, the dogs spotted me late and I dropped one quickly as I rung it up in the flats to about 23. Dog 2 was faster and nearly caught me to take home as a chew toy. Lucky for me though, he had no stamina and I dropped him before the next rising hill.

The remainder of the 32 mile ride took me along a gorgeous mountain stream as the road descended along its fall line to the flats where my car was parked. I did meet up with one rider on a tri-bike in the last 5 miles. We traded off pulling each other as we leveled out from the river road ride and onto the country road that cut through farms. We kept a good pace so by the time I had reached my car, my legs were spent out from the climbs and the final sustaining pace. But, this was a gorgeous ride and I hope a taste of things to come!

So a quick synopsis of my initial lessons of TN riding: narrow roads, great flats, long rollers with steep grades, trees, green, and fabulous views. And, no lycra clad bear bikers.

1 comment:

shinnranchgrouse said...

good for you Graham getting out and riding even with the bears... I was up in St Helena we did Howell Mtn. into Pope and back yesterday then the Oakville Grade climb 630ft in under 3 miles... burner.

joe

http://sthelenacyclery.com/articles/area-rides-and-local-events-pg37.htm

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32619534

http://www.youtube.com/user/shinnranchgrouse#g/u