Saturday, May 15, 2010

Interstate Outlaw



Three rides, three days, and a mild case of illicitness.

After work mud ride at Haw Ridge. I'm getting used to de-ticking during and after a ride; I think it comes with TN riding. While one set of bugs were trying to eat me, I was ingesting about 5 lbs of flying protein-- the downside of being a mouth-breather during aerobic activities. So far, I haven't found the bugs here to be too un-tasty.

The trails on the other hand are some nice riding candy. Not a ton of work, but lot's of good pedal to fun ratio. The roots took a little getting used to and adjustments to tire pressure (learned quickly after the first few shock rebounds). Lots of twisty, rooty cuts where handlebars pass within inches of the trees. Occasional signs of poorly negotiated turns by others and--I would almost swear--face plants in scarred tree trunks.

Lunchtime ride. Within about a mile, I can be on back-country two lane roads where roll-y hills weave through dense forests or stretch along open pasture land. The strong sweet smell of honey-dew flowers perfume the ride. Dogs however, love a good bike chase which will benefit my sprinting skills and drills. So far, I'm still ahead.

Saturday morning. Ventured out along a potential work commute ride that was surprisingly not bad. A wide shoulder separated me from the busy 4 lane. Noise is the only downer here. Once downtown, I picked up the greenways that are growing within the city. They are pretty as they weave through forested sections of town; it's hard to even realize your in a busy area. They aren't fast though as they weave too much to allow you to open up. Still a good alternative to narrow surface streets that lack shoulders or bike lanes. I think the commute is feasable.

This ride took me to Harper's Bike Shop, where I hooked up with "Scapegoat" for a riding tour. He graciously (and briskly) took me on some stunning back roads along the Tennessee River that were virtually car free. The road swooped and climbed, twisted and rolled through some pretty country. Two good out-of-the saddle climbs--one lung burster and then we dropped in for the real test-- 3 miles down the Interstate (I-640)necessary for us to cross the river.

"Honestly, officer, it's the only way to get across" and "I'm new here, I had NO IDEA that riding on the interstate was illegal! " were my prepared responses. Fortunately, both are in storage for a future crossing (one I might add of necessity as the number of places to cross the river are really limited here). I have to say, though, interstate shoulders are wide, smooth, and fast while the road noise is quite low.

Now that I'm an interstate outlaw I feel somewhat... liberated. But, is this a slipper slope that may soon send me down a path of riding with other bicyclists wearing only a leather jacket? (ooo...wait, no. That sounds really uncomfortable. ) I don't know, but I fear for those poor auto-ists.

No comments: