Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Insanity

Madman heads for Knoxville on temporary assignment. For the next 6-12 months (with possible time off for good behavior), I'll be working in a distant land: a beautiful one, no less, with lots of single track, scenic back-roads, and the nearby Appalachians and Great Smokies to provide adventure.

Today, the mountain bike was crated up--step one. Tonight, the gear gets boxed up Step two. The honey-do list is getting checked off-- step three. And now it's time to pack the personal items--step four. Weirdly, or accurately--your choice--, I have more gear to pack than working clothes: helmets, gloves, mtb shorts, road shorts, mtb shoes, road shoes, mtb helmet, road helmet, pump, tools, running shorts, trail shoes, PFD, riding lights. Damn! I think my gear is 2x more ...wait! make that 4x more, than my working clothes! Ahah!!! This proves it: my priorities are almost perfectly balanced between work and play! Step 5: the road bike awaits...the last minute addition, pending weather and a final ride with my road mates. Seven more steps and I could create a 12 step program for endurance athletes, but I fall short for now. Harmony across the 3 legs of the training priorities (Work. Play. Family.) is the continuing struggle.

The third leg, family will be balanced, as well. They will spend the summer there and in the fall, I will become the frequent flyer spanning the continent on every third or fourth weekend. I have no plans to be fit, tested, and single.

In the meantime, and for the short time, the training routine is interrupted. But, adventure awaits! And!... I'm geared up for it.

No comments: