Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Time Flies

Yeesh! Two weeks since my last post! That should indicate the state of madness in my life right now. As faithful readers know, we're moving to a new madhouse. So, the last 4 days were filled with a new stressful training program comprised mainly of unloading and spreading 2 tons of 1/4 x dust rock and a ton of yard bark. My abs, obliques, and shoulders are now in stunning condition. They also hurt.

And the madness continues on the training front for the Challenge. This last Sunday wrapped up 2 fast weeks (running times that is) with a 20 mile run plus 15 mile ride...the hard way. I spent 2:15 climbing up the Ohlone Trail from 390 feet to Rose Peak at 3890 followed by 1:30 descent back to the trail head. I gotta say I felt pretty strong despite what was a brutal climb. I then did a short ride up Calavaras Road to the top and back down. I gotta say I didn't feel so damn strong. Note to self: fuel is going to be critical when I get ready to transition to bike. I settled the hydration problem from last ride by keeping on my running pack and bladder. Next problem to solve is replenishing enough carbs for the ride. Still, it was a good training day. Compared to last week's 16 mile climb/descent and 20 mile ride, I came home and an afternoon siesta was more optional than mandatory.

Lots of new lessons learned. But, there is no doubt this is going to be a real tough challenge to pull off. I'm closing in on the time estimates for the 100K Challenge. I think the 28 mile run (which will cover about 7,800 of climbing) will be 4.5 hours and the 35 mile ride will be somewhere in the 2 hour range. If I start off at 6am that should have me finishing at VMS around 12:30.

Oh, you thought it was 55 miles total? Heh! Nope, we're going for 100km+ here, folks!

No comments: