Friday, February 24, 2006

And now, for something completely different

Today was supposed to be a 50+ routine: one set, 50 reps, at 50% of capacity. Having scheduled a "check up" with my trainer Dan I suspected he might throw in a surprise. I wasn't disappointed.

Dan devised some new routines for maxing me out instead of the usual 50+. We did sets of 10 counts at full capacity. Let me explain his torture technique.

Using my full load for each upper and lower body muscle set, Dan would have me raise the weight on a slow 10 count, hold it under tension for another slow 10 count, and lower it again on a slow 10 count. Lather, rinse, repeat...until muscle exhaustion. I was able to burn out 3-4 reps. Man it hurt! This is an exercise in pain endurance, I think. On the bicep curl, I was sure I was only going to get 3 out of it, but Dan got me to the 4th rep. My muscles were screaming at the end of the 3rd, getting the curl up and then holding it on the 4th was pure will power, requiring a recall of deep intestinal fortitude. That wasnt' the only thing I nearly brought up. At the end of each set, I'd be light headed from lack of blood to the brain. Some would contend that is probably a normal condition for me given my goal here.

Tomorrow's a day off. Yesterday's 10 mile run was great. All guages in the green. Sunday is preview, part deux, when I'll take on 16 miles over my 50K route's biggest climb.

No comments: