Monday, April 02, 2007

Speedweek!

It wasn't Daytona. And it wasn't all 'go fast, turn left' this week, but man! was it fast (but there was lots of beer at the end and I did smell like I had been in a kevlar suit for 500 laps). If you ever had doubts about hill training and the impact on your flat times, let me bust your misimpressions.

Hill training makes you faster (and removes tough stains. It even slices, dices, and makes jullien fries!). After last weekends big run/ride, my flat run started off--or so it felt--slow and stiffly. However, I hit mile marker 1 in 7:05. That blew me away. I hit the trail and up a slight hill which usually adds :30 to the run and hit mile marker 2 at 7:15. Mile 3 at 7:20. Mile 4 at 7:10.... I averaged 7:15 over a 6.2 mile run. Damnnnn! I don't run for speed. I only run for distance. So, I was blown away. And chalked it up to a fluke.

Until small hill Thursday when I ran 8 miles and averaged 7:35! And then hit a 15 mile short route bike loop and averaged 19.5 mph. What!?! I replaced the batteries in my watch just in case, but the still came up with "YOU RAN FAST, BABY"! I never new that was an option with Timex....

So, I'm in the taper now. Sunday was another fast but short day. 11 mile run and 11 mile mountain bike ride. While the run was on par for the course, I took off 8 minutes on the ride.. no small feat given the elevation changes.

This week winds down further with Sunday a very short 4 mile run and 5 mile bike. Next week I have only two runs: on on Tuesday and the other is the Challenge!

1 comment:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

I recently had a similar aha moment of hill training and went looking for other runners who have noted its impact. I found your post and laughed when I read it - what a great story about your run and benefits of hills.
Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com