Monday, April 16, 2007

The Challenge-the Ride

The plan was to meet up at the trail head finish with Racer-X, Tinker, and Pace Line. The first two were riding out together with Racer-X doubling the ride distance while Tinker joined up to double from Pleasanton. Pace Line was going to one-way with me back to VMS.

Problem was Pace Line was the only one there when I arrived. I slowly changed into riding gear, downed a ton of water, some M&M's (the perfect pickmeup when you're reaching bloodsugar lows), and another Balance Bar hoping to kill some time and get a little rest. Still the boys were no shows. Pace Line and I decided to set out and hope to meet them coming up as we headed down.

The winds were whipping up at least 10-15mph out of the NW as we shot down the hill out of the parking lot. Less than a mile later we met up with Racer X coming up the opposite way. Tinker had stayed behind to await us at the climb up Calavaras 5 miles up the road. We set out with a slight downhill ride to our first and biggest climb of the day. My legs were a little stiff but not bad. A stiff tail wind helped push us a long at a good clip. However, the first couple small hills proved that there wasn't a lot in the well for climb or high pace speed. Racer X led while Pace Line and I trailed through the back streets of Milpitas and Fremont.

The climb up Calavaras was something I had been dreading on my run up the backside of Mission Peak. Now it loomed before us. It has three segments: the first, a gradual but long climb; the second, a shorter but steeper segment; and then a last steep climb of 500 yards. Between each segment lay a short flat or less steep climb. The total was perhaps 2 miles. On fresh legs--no problem--on 28 miles of running legs? It had the promise of a giant suck.

Racer X provided a running commentary on the description of the climb and where I was on it. Man, that helped. A stiff tail wind helped, as well. Tinker joined up on the second segment while Pace Line went ahead while I refilled a water bottle at the roadside park. We turned the corner for the third segment just as my second (for the 5th time) wind kicked in. I buried my head, watched the road markings out of the corners of my eye and concentrated on cadence and breathing. Crank by crank, mainly out of saddle, I pushed the hill. I was kicking it! I surged up and over the crest and was met with the first of 8 miles of down hill. Sweet Potatoes! Now I could relax. The Monster that rode my back 12 miles ago was off. The ride to the finish line was all downhill or flat from here on out.

Pace Line roared out ahead of me on the flats and gradual descent before me. Tinker and Racer X were in trail. I turned up the cadence hoping to catch her but she opened the distance slowly and surely. We hit a series of fast downhills, quick climbs and fast and tight turns. Tinker, Racer X and I hit a groove and sailed through them. This part of the ride was truely fun. On the last big hill, the pelaton reeled in Pace Line and we stopped for a quick refuel before the final descent into Sunol.

Through Sunol and Pleasanton, Racer X, Tinker, and Pace Line traded the lead pulling us all along at a good clip. By Pleasanton, Racer X was 60+ miles into his ride and the wear was beginning to show. Tinker pulled off to complete his ride in Pleasanton so Pace Line picked up the point and pulled us into Livermore. Pace Line saved our bacon. By Stanley Drive Racer X and I were on our last reserves. While we both had fueled and hydrated well, we were past peak on performance. My hamstrings were burning on every stroke. Accelerations off the stop lights were no longer fast and even those occasional M&M's no longer had the kick of nitrogen injections in a fuel-air mixture.

I was rapidly becoming a wet noodle. I wasn't bonking. I was just wearing out.

The stiff head wind we had suffered through from Sunol to Pleasanton had become a slight quartering wind. It helped. The distance and time rolled faster. 10 minutes out. Energy coming up again. Anticipating the end. Pushing just a bit harder. The last hill. And there was the park and finish line! The cheers of family and friend fired the last strokes up and across the finish line. Finished. Done. Wow!