Monday, July 16, 2007

... of Wine and Roses

Last week the mad family was in Santa Rosa. While the littlest madmen were off fiddling at violin institute, I peddled madly about the vineyards and ranches of Sonoma County.

Wow! What a land of bubblegum rides and beautiful vistas. It's made for road riding. I logged 4 rides of a 130 miles total during my limited riding opportunities in the afternoons.

Day 1: a 20 mile loop of Dry Creek valley. This was a really scenic ride with some classic views of the vineyards and nice easy rolling roads. The only bad part was some rough spots along Old Dry Creek Road. Afternoon winds were strong out of the SouthWest so I had a headwind and a whistle in my ear all the way back into Healdsburg. Fortunately, I also discovered Bear Republic Brewery where I was able to wet my whistle on a pint of Racer 5.

Day 2: a 50 mile loop which included Alexander and Russian Valley. This ride had a little more climbing but lots of flat and fast rides through the grapes. There were a few riders out but most were going the opposite direction.

Day 3: a 27 mile loop of the Windsor Plains. Quite an unusual ride. Parts, I swear, looked like a scene out of England with Dairy pastures that could have been busting with British bovine. The middle section took me through a beautiful stand of tall, densely forested Redwoods. Sections of the road sucked supremely and were heavily patched and pot-hole pocked.

Day 4: my 40 mile out and back was supposed to take me up Geyser Road and back to my starting point. Unfortunately, the road was heavily graveled and impassable on my road bike. So I lost a 50 miler with lots of climbing and instead got in 40 of mostly flat riding.

No comments: