Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Jaunty jaunting

Sunday was supposed to be a hard run day. Saturday night turned out to be a hard party night. Usually those two create hardships. This was no exception. Sunday was bright and beautiful but I wasn't. I was completely unmotivated and vacillated between "I'll run" and "I'll ride" several hundred times. Ride won out and I mounted the mountain bike for a trip up the Ridge.

The plan fell apart in the first 50 yards. I was tired. And my legs felt like lead. It had nothing to do with the 40lbs of lamb, spinach, shrimp, and desert nor from the 200 gallons of wine, beer, and champagne from the night before. My dogs were barking and I suspect the root cause was last week's big rides. I put in some serious mileage over the week and 50 on Friday alone. So Sunday became a light day.

And it paid off today. The 5 mile flat run went well. I felt rested and fast--splits of 7:11, 7:25, 7:22, 7:25, and 7:59 (a 1 mile slow hill) gave testimony to a rest needed and well spent. It was a nice foray. My route takes me through the bucolic ranch land of Happy Valley, down the gravely abandoned RR tracks, and back home via the twisty, narrow, and ascending Happy Valley Road. The route is amazingly rural and wild. I've often spotted foxes, deer and turkey's along the route. Last week a fox barked a warning (to her pups I assume) while slowly fleeing into the surrounding underbrush. Today, nature blessed me with a rather large and clearly hungry deer tic. I did not oblige it a meal.

No comments: