Friday, August 11, 2006

Training Notes



Here's some random things I've learned, practiced, or ignored to my detriment over the last few years:
  • During a race, if food starts becoming un-tasty, hard to eat, or I start to lose my appetite, that's a pretty strong indication I'm dehydrated.
  • One Power Gel every 40 minutes is what I need to stay fueled properly for any race that will last 2 hours or more. I start fueling immediately when racing but my intake is in nibbles and small bites . I try to make the Gel last a full 40 minutes. I wash every nibble down with water. This helps to stave off dehydration problems and ensure I'm adequately hydrating.
  • After every 3rd Gel, (2 hours) I substitute a Power Bar (Caramel Crunch is my preferred) in lieu of a Power Gel. I make it last 40 minutes too. Too much fuel in the belly means too much blood in the stomach and that much less for muscles to oxygenate.
  • The fueling strategy above works great for running. Riding is more difficult. I recently got a Gel bottle and Bento box to make it easier to easily access fuel and to nibble away. Gel packs while riding can rarely be nibbled...it's an all or nothing proposition. The Gel bottle seems to eliminate that problem. The Bento box helps keep the Gel bottle and other fuel in easy reach..no stops to fumble for fuel.
  • For 8 hour plus races, a peanut butter honey sandwich works fine for "lunch." I stretch the consumption out over 40 minutes also. Pop a bite in, let it sit, and sip water to wash it down. Same as eating a bar.
  • Pre-race or pre-brick meals are critical to performing well. I strive for portion sizes of 1/3 carbs (usually a pasta), 1/3 protein/fat source (usually chicken or salmon), and 1/3 rich veggie (usually spinach).
  • 5 days straight of training, regardless of cross-training to offset wear and tear, is draining. I rarely do this except in heavy training weeks. Normally, I get a rest day once every 3 days. Usually, its Monday train, Tuesday off, Wed-Fri train, and train either Sat or Sun. Sometimes I schedule both Sat and Sun as training dates and make Friday an off-day instead.
  • Except on a treadmill or in the gym, I can't work out to music. Besides, I'm outside and on the trail with ears dedicated to listening for the whistling of the claws of a leaping mountain lion.
  • I'm convinced that upper body work is as important for me as a runner and biker as intense cardio work. I hate it, but have seen great benefits from working on overall strength and balance.
  • Pilates is silly looking but highly effective at building core strength and balance. Things I must have on the trail.
  • At 45, I'm not expecting to win any gold medals. Unless they hand them out for having fun. That said, I'm a typical Type A: I'm always competing.

No comments: