Friday, February 01, 2008

Wild Kingdom

"While Jim attempts to capture the rare Siberian tiger by grabbing his tail, I'll polish off my 3rd martini...."

So, Marlin Perkins must be happy for me this week. I've experienced more interesting wild life episodes in the last 3 jaunts than I can recall.

Last week, I came across two adult deer and a yearling. Not unusual. However, usually they hightail it before I get too close. Not so this time. I was almost on them before they turned and darted to my left (eastward) off the trail. Then, 50 yards south of them I saw --perhaps--the reason they had dallied. Two coyote appeared on the trail, darted back to the brush, then back again as I continued my run towards them. They too seem to delay their departure until I was almost 50 yards from them. They chose to go west. A little research revealed why I saw what I did:
"Food habit studies reveal that its principle diet is composed of mice, rabbits, ground squirrels, other small rodents, insects, even reptiles, and fruits and berries of wild plants.

The coyote is an opportunistic predator that uses a variety of hunting techniques to catch small mammals likes rabbits and squirrels, which comprise the bulk of its diet. Although it hunts alone to catch small prey, it may join with others in hunting larger mammals like young deer or a pony."

Then on my long run on Sunday, I came across 3 coyote, 25 yards from the trail, running 3 abreast across a field. It was a fascinating experience. Clearly they were hunting.

The week before, a real first: a herd of 25+ elk at sunrise on a hill just 100 yards from the road I was cycling upon.

So, while Jim chases the coyotes, I'll be joining Marlin for a beer.

No comments: